Friday, April 07, 2006

Please Come to Boston in the Springtime...

When you think music and Loggins, you think Kenny.

But what about his cousin Dave? Okay, maybe he didn't have many hits, but his song will forever be linked to great city of Boston. He said, "please come to Boston in the springtime..."

So we did.

Earlier today, our oldest daughter Alyssa and my mother Betty flew with me to visit beantown. Cari remained behind in Las Vegas until her parents arrived to watch our five younger kids and she will join us tomorrow.

But we arrived earlier this evening, and since it's three hours earlier in the pacific time zone, we did need to do some exploring.

We're staying at the Marriott Long Wharf, right on Boston Harbor, a block or so away from the famous Faneuil Hall...



Faneuil Hall has served as a marketplace and a meeting hall since 1742.

Now in Las Vegas we live in a neighborhood which is considered "old" because the subdivision was built 5 years ago. So 1742 is, well, like a little bit older than that.

Faneuil Hall was once a place where "inspiring speeches by Samuel Adams and other patriots were given that eventually led to independence from the British."

Personally, I think old Sammy boy was just handing out some of his beer and that's what led to the Boston Tea Party just two blocks down the road.

Today, Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are home to a mix of shops, restaurants, bars and food stands. I went to college at Tufts University outside of Boston and spent many an evening playing down here at the shops, restaurants and food stands.

Never the bars, of course. (Hey, I have six kids, four of whom are now old enough to read this!)

We had to stop at the soup counter and fill up a bread bowl of "chowda"...



The sad part is that when I was younger, it would have been filled with lobster bisque or real clam chowder.

Today, shellfish gives me gout so corn chowder it was.

My mom seemed to enjoy it, though...



And Alyssa loved the enormous bread bowl (which she ate, of course, not me)...



We walked around a bit and passed all of the many outdoor food carts filled with sizzling Italian sausage and loads of peppers and onions.

Of course, Alyssa just couldn't help herself...



And she wasn't just holding that for me, either.

In my younger college days Faneuil Hall was part of my regular stomping grounds. And like me, my mom and Alyssa had to pose with Samuel Adams...



Although I think they must have changed the statue of Samuel Adams.

When I was in college hanging out near Faneuil Hall, it looked like this...



Tomorrow, a visit to Tufts, my alma mater.