Sunday, October 05, 2008

Politics and Football are Dirty Jobs

Our son was so inspired by Sarah Palin that he too, wanted to run for Vice President...



Kekoa said, "If she's qualified to be Vice President, than so am I!"


But when we explained to Kekoa that the Vice President doesn't actually put lipstick on a pig, he grew bored and decided instead to focus on this weekend's flag football game.

The Lions' coach does a good job ensuring that everyone gets a chance to play every position - so here's Kekoa as quarterback handing it off...



Kekoa is also quite a good defensive player because he never stops running...



Now this is flag football - and the oldest kids playing are 9 years-old. In other words, they're just learning football and so most of the plays are runs.

But every now and then they put a pass play in the game. That happened when the Lions had the ball on fourth and goal.

And Kekoa was one of the two players lined up as wide receiver on that play.

It was a text book play - the quarterback took the snap, looked to his primary receiver on the right side of the end zone, causing the defense to shift that way.

Kekoa had slid out to the left side of the end zone as the second option.

The quarterback looked off his first receiver and heaved the ball (when you're 9, every pass involves a "heave") to Kekoa at the back left corner of the end zone.

Both Cari and I - along with her parents - all happened to be standing on the sideline at the left side of the end zone.

I take pictures whenever Kekoa is on the field - so I watch much of the game through the camera lens. I saw Kekoa run into the end zone through the lens, but just had to glance back to see what the play was. Most of the time Kekoa would be a decoy drawing the defense away from the line to set up a run.

But it was clear that this was a pass play - and that the quarterback was looking off his first option and the ball was gong to be thrown to Kekoa.

My heart began to race. My hands began to shake.

Remember, there aren't many passes in these games - and because you rotate positions so frequently, this was the first time in four games this season in which a pass was being thrown to Kekoa.

Kekoa hadn't done a particularly good job in practice that morning catching the ball. But here we were - fourth and goal, and it was all up to Kekoa.

I was so nervous that my hands shook and this is the picture I took...



Note the brown blur in the upper right corner which is the ball coming into the picture.

Somewhere else in that blur is Kekoa - about to catch his first touchdown pass!

Go Lions!

In a complete non sequitur, our boy’s favorite TV celebrity, Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, was recently informed by the website, Gay.com that he was the celebrity with whom most their male readers would like to have a relationship.

Tough guy Mike’s response?

"What can I say? I'm honored."


"I would, however, like to take a moment to clear something up. Even though I got my start in theater, sang for years in the Baltimore Opera, moved to San Francisco and never married, I must tell you all again, for the hundredth time... I am NOT a celebrity."

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."