Saturday, April 02, 2005

You know you're getting old when...

So last week marked my latest bithday.

Some say I may not be very old, but I remind them that this is the oldest I've ever been.

Well, my family wanted to celebrate my birthday by baking my favorite cake. And in typical fashion in my household, it ain't angelfood.

Thus my lovely wife dug up a recipe from my old friend from Tufts, Jen Bevins, and together my children made my very favorite coffee cake.

It was a wonderful gesture, but my children also insisted on putting on one candle for every year of life -- just like they get on their cakes.

Of course, as I grow older, the number of candles continues to grow...



And that can have disasterous consequences.

How does that old joke go?

You know you're getting old when your birthday cake becomes a fire hazard.

Well...