Tuesday, February 27, 2007

It's Cold in Our Nation's Capitol

I'm originally from Hawaii. I now live in the desert.

In other words, I don't like cold.

And so wouldn't you know that Washington, DC would be under a snow emergency exactly 24 hours before my arrival in this fair city.

Actually, it's not that bad. It was a few inches of slush, and with temperatures in the upper 30s today, patches of this stuff is mostly what you find...



Of course, I still hate it.

The upside is that I get to wear my brand-spanking new leather jacket!



I seem to travel to colder climates a couple of times a year, and this little baby can be casual as above, or can be worn over a suit coat. Okay, maybe it's not quite perfect over the coat, but I still like it!

The real reason for my trip doesn't begin until tomorrow, so I spent this evening visiting with Dan Goodwin, a very old friend from Tufts with whom I shared an apartment after we graduated from college...



We were definitely younger and more fit some 15 years ago.

I guess that's the great irony of getting older. I now can afford a really high-end leather coat, but that coat has to cover a bigger belly than ever before. I can buy expensive imported beer, but drinking more than one leaves me drowsy.

It's not that youth is wasted on the young. It's just that the young can't afford any of the really cool toys.

Anyway, Dan has his own consulting company which designs and implements
fundraising software systems - although Dan, being Dan, his clients are always raising money for conservative issues. We were an odd couple, me the liberal, and Dan the conservative.

But, the older I get, the more libertarian I become, so who am I to talk. Maybe that's why I love where I live - the ultimate libertarian paradise - Las Vegas. I've seen people walking through the grocery store pretending to be Elvis, and nobody cares. I've seen men dressed up in high heels walking down the street, and nobody bugs them. Live your life in a way that makes you happy and as long as it doesn't impinge upon my rights, enjoy. Viva Las Vegas!