Sunday, June 17, 2007

Papa's Day

Cari is a huge Little House on the Prarie fan thus out of love and adoration for her, I've been trying for years to get our kids to call me "Pa" -- pronounced "paw" in Prarie-eese.

Being the understanding father that I am, however, I'm satisfied with the alternative "Papa" from time to time.

Of course, like so much else in our household, nobody listens to me. And thus this morning began with each of our kids streaming into our room to wish me a "Happy Father's Day."

Except, however, our little baby Malia.

She walked in and said, "Happy Papa's Day!"

Finally, someone in our house listens to me!

Cari and the kids surprised me with the once-a-year breakfast of the food that I love but she will not normally let me eat. Basically, a heaping pile of near-burnt (that's the way I like it) corned beef hash and onions, served on really good toast, smothered in over-easy eggs, with a nice glass of pineapple juice...



Ah, the Hawaiian breakfast of champions.

I can feel my arteries hardening even as I write about it.

My gifts this year consisted of the 5th Season of "Scrubs" (which I find to be the funniest tv show ever) and Mario Party 8 for the Wii game system...



Of course, if the Wii game was really meant to be a gift for me, I figured I should play it first -- which meant that nobody got to play it until just before bedtime!

Hey, it's the kids who are supposed to be nice to dads on Father's Day -- not the other way around.

I also got a spiffy new apron, except the kids got finger prints all over it...



Cari also had each of the kids make a card for me. They ranged from pictures from Malia to a very touching letter from Alyssa. Kekoa, however, made his card in school which listed the top 10 things he loves about his dad...



It's hard to see the print above, but the number 6 reason Kekoa loves me is because I sing him "Feliz Navidad."


Now in my entire life, I don't think I've ever sung Feliz Navidad, much less to Kekoa.

But this is Papa's Day, so there I stood, at our breakfast table, singing Feliz Navidad to Kekoa.

Ah the things we do for our children.

Then again, after a busy day of playing and swimming, they look so darn cute at the end of the day...



Happy Papa's Day.