Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Week Without Mommy...

We could also title this post, "Little Girls Take Over the Community Foundation."

Last week my lovely wife Cari unexpectedly had to head off to Green Bay, Wisconsin and that left me as a single dad with six kids.

And since we didn't have any time to make other plans, the littlest two of our children spent the week following me everywhere -- including spending many a day hanging out at the Nevada Community Foundation.

Sometimes, it wasn't the least bit disruptive, such as when they sat around in my office and colored...



Other times they were downright adorable, such as when Nalani put on my Cowboy hat and Malia wore a Packer hard hat...



Then there were the times when I walked down the hall only to return to find that they had decided to take over my desk...



Quite honestly, while I intellectually understood what my lovely wife did all day, physically and emotionally, well, that was quite an education.

The day would begin at 5:45 a.m. to get Alyssa off to school -- then it was the boys to their school -- then go in to the office -- only to take a break a few hours later to take the little girls out to lunch -- to picking up Alyssa at her school -- then picking up the boys.

There are breakfasts, dinners, feeding the animals, taking the dog out, doing dishes, overseeing the kids as they pick up the house, bath time, laundry, bed time.

The day never seems to end!

I'm not sure who was happier to see Cari return -- a tired me or six kids who were tired of me.

Well, we were all quite happy and decorated the house with cray paper for Cari's arrival...



We made a nice little poster...



And created a wall of celebration for Cari...



Here are just a few of the examples of the pictures on the wall. Everyone drew a series of pictures which shared this...



Nalani started to draw a pizza, but then decided that she missed Mommy's eggplant...



Kekoa liked Mommy's cold lunches from home (their lazy Daddy made the boys buy a hot lunch every day)...



Alyssa decided to score a few brownie points with her Mommy by saying how much she missed her smile...



Only to be trumped by David who missed his Mommy kissing him goodnight...



But Bretty's was proof positive that these kids are not just clones of their Dad...



Bretty missed his Mommy telling him to eat breakfast.

In other words, this kid needs to be told to eat.

Clearly, there are some ways in which he is nothing like me!