Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bishop Museum, a Birthday, and Kakanin

In 2006, Cari and I took the younger five of our six kids to a day at Bishop Museum hosted by the Iolani Alumni Association. Unfortunately at the time the main building - Hawaiian Hall - was closed for renovations.

Our oldest child, Alyssa, wasn't with us that day because she remained behind on Molokai with her cousins. So I thought it would be nice to visit Bishop Museum during this trip because Alyssa had never seen it and I wanted to see how the renovations came out.

Amazingly, three years later, Hawaiian Hall is still closed for renovations!

I'm not exactly sure what the purpose was of all the black lights in the volcano exhibit, but the effect was pretty cool on Alyssa's and my brother's Jimmy's clothing...



And while I like to think I have great respect for other cultures and all, I have to admit that this exhibit freaked me out...



This particularly picture is specifically for my wife's brother-in-law Paul, a big time fisherman. I wonder if he's ever used a traditional Hawaiian octopus lure...



This trip was an opportunity for my brothers and sisters to get together and spend a little quality time with our father on his 86th birthday party. While Alyssa joined me, Cari remained at home with the other five of our kids. Thankfully during this trip I set up my parents with their new computers and their first internet connection - so our kids can now chat with Grandma and Grandpa via Skype...



After 8 days in Hawaii, it was time to return to Wisconsin where I was greeted with a birthday celebration by my kids.


David, ever the comic, said he worked really hard to write me a personal note...



Then after getting his laugh there, David said that seriously, he did write me a birthday letter...



What a goof.

Bret Jr. made a card as well while Kekoa drew me a candy forest...



While Nalani and Malia danced a birthday hula for me...



Though I am finally back in Wisconsin, no trip to Hawaii would be complete without a birthday treat on the way out of town courtesy of Mrs. Jacang, my parent's neighbor...




A nice warm bowl of kakanin - a sweet Filipino pudding.

It's a nice warm memory to carry me over since it's snowing today in Wisconsin.

For those still there, always remember, "Lucky You Live Hawaii."