Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Second Birthday Party...

This is Hawaii, of course, so you have to begin your day with two rainbows in the sky. Here's the picture from my parent's deck overlooking Pearl Harbor...



As noted in a previous posting, many in our family gathered to celebrate my father's 86th birthday. I pointed out a few days ago that we all thought it remarkable that our dad jumped in the Mustang to ride with me to the gathering.

But what I forgot to post is that only my dad would ride in a Mustang but park in a handicapped parking stall...



Somehow he managed to talk his doctor into giving him a handicapped parking stall placard. He apparently convinced the doctor that he wasn't able to walk very far any more. Yet amazingly he still manages to walk up and down the buffet line several times over!

My sister Dawn and her boys posed in their own unique way...



And Donovan and his girlfriend Christyn decided to dress up like tourists complete with the matching outfits...



I guess that's what happens when you're from Molokai. The good news is that none of us have ever seen Donovan as happy and content as he is now with Christyn.

While in Honolulu Donovan said he needed to go shopping for a new sheet and comforter set for their bed. Apparently Christyn is a huge fan of the color pink - my wife's favorite color as well. But Donovan is a man now, and men don't sleep on pink sheets.

So his Aunty Cari and I told them that we'd pay for the new set but it had to be pink. We figured that Christyn needed all the backing she could get living with our nephew.

Anyway, after the big luncheon I decided to work off some of the calories by dancing like an Egyptian all the way down the stairs...



But that was a few days ago. More recently, we celebrated Dad's birthday a second time on the actual day of his birth.

And like his Grandson David whose birthday is the very next day, my father celebrated with a birthday pie...



Kimberly was in town from Lanai, hapai as one can ever be, and she joined us for dinner...



Kim is the eldest daughter of the greatest cook not only in our family, but the the universe,
Adorna.

In honor of his birthday, my father made one of his (im)famous concoctions...



For those who cannot see the cans clearly, let me spell out the ingredients in the mixture. Equal parts diet pepsi and coconut milk, topped off with a scoop of ice cream.

Make one yourself and enjoy. Really. Go ahead. Try it and see how it tastes.

As Alyssa was sitting at the table next to her grandma, we noticed something...



My mom has now lived in Hawaii for fifty years (having moved from Manitowoc, Wisconsin). Alyssa has lived here for five days. Yet somehow my mother still doesn't have much more of a tan...



My daugther Nalani would be very pleased at Grandma's choice of plates upon which the pie was served...



My sister Dawn cracked open a few bottles of wine and clearly she can't hold her liquor. Just look at the mess she made on the tablecloth...



You can't take her anywhere.

Speaking of Dawn, here's a picture of our Dad being tormented by his daughters...



That's Dawn on the left and Renee on the right.

Although Dawn has a regular job on Molokai by day, she is a profesional singer at night...



Gotta love those sleeves!

When visiting my sister Renee's house the other day, I was reminded about her exciting but all to brief professional singing career as well.

At a Barry Manilow concert in Hawaii a few years back, Barry pulled someone from the audience on stage to sing a bit with him.

And it just happened to be the biggest Barry Manilow fan in the world - my sister Renee...



Yes, the pictures are real, this is Renee's professional debut...



Okay, done with all that. Now we really should get down to the real issue that everyone wants to know

Where was lunch?



Yes, that's the famous Shiro's Saimin Haven in Waimalu.



Fried saimin smothered with char siu and spam.

Ono!