Sunday, January 23, 2005

Visiting Old Las Vegas

When you think of Las Vegas today, most folks think of the famous "Strip" -- with all its overwhelming opulance and extravagance! Well, with my parents visiting from Hawaii and my brother Bernie and his family driving in from California, we took a little trek to Fremont Street -- "the place where it all began"

Here's a wonderful view of the Fremont Street Experience, which is a four block pedestrian street covered by a giant canopy which is really the world's largest big screen television...



And how could any stop in old Las Vegas be complete without a visit by the King himself...



Elvis is someone worthy of a museum (and accompanying gift shop, of course).

Well, this is Las Vegas where people come ready to part with their money for a good time -- so lot's of things are in need of a museum and gift shop -- even fast food restaurants...



This is an exotic place where the risque is the norm. Everyone's trying to use an angle to generate business -- even one of the grand old hotels like the Tropicana...



See, in Vegas, baby, even our birds are exotic.

We stopped by a mall at one point, but ordinary malls are so passe. So how about a mall that's built to look like Venice -- complete with the canals and gondolas floating by...



After a long day of walking, my three sons needed to take a break with Grandpa Bernie...



Although one can't help but wonder what Kekoa (in the middle) and Bretty (on the right) have on their mischevous minds!

We did gamble a little -- and after four months in Las Vegas I finally placed my first bet. I'm proud to say I quickly doubled my money (only to lose all my winnings shortly thereafter -- at least I broke even!).

Here we all are (my parents Bernie & Betty, my brother Bernie Jr., and his wife Pat, my nephews Derek and Blake, and my lovely wife Cari) after an evening of gambling on Fremont Street...



Notice the biggest smile on my mom's face. She quintupled her money that night!

Of course, according to the sole protestor on Fremont Street, it really doesn't matter whether any of us won or lost because we're all doomed anyway...



Bummer.